Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What I've noticed about Sedona


           My move to Sedona has been one of the biggest changes (or Adventures) in my entire life.  Consequently, I had some serious reservations about making the move.  I mean, come on, I went from San Diego, the eighth largest city in America, to a town of 10,000.  It hasn’t been perfect, but I’ve surprised myself with how seamlessly I have adjusted so far.  Already I can tell this move has grown me tremendously and I’m happy with my decisions. 

            For those of you who don’t know, Sedona is a very different place.  I’m not just referring to the glaringly obvious fact that it’s a small town; it has a very distinct culture of its own.  Some describe it as a spiritual Mecca for one.  It’s difficult to put into words everything I’ve noticed so far but I thought it would be interesting to share with you some of what I’ve noticed so far.  So here’s the list:

1.  Demographic

This town consists of primarily two types of people; rich, old, retired people and the new age hippy types.  These are not exclusive demographics either, many fall into both categories.  As a result, there are any number of healing facilities, psychics, gem stone shops, spiritual hikes, alien sightings, overpriced teahouses, vortex’s, spa’s, peace parks and other strange establishments.  Most of this is very much outside the context of who I am, but I simply share with you what I've noticed. 




    

     


2.  Teal Arches

Our new age retro hippies, mentioned above, put up a stink when McDonalds wanted to come in and put their famous golden arches up.  The town told them that they would have to choose another color.  My understanding is that this has to do with maintaining aesthetic unity.  So McDonalds decided to pick Teal Green and the locals approved the decision.  I don’t know of any other place where this is the case. 


3.  The “Y”

When locals refer to the “Y”, they’re not talking about a fun place for young men to stay, they’re referring to a major intersection where the 89A hits the 179.  Coming from the west (my neck of the woods), you can either continue north on the 89A to uptown and eventually Flagstaff or go south on the 179 and hit up all the shops and restaurants you wallet can afford. 



4.  Round-a-bouts

While we’re on the subject, the “Y” is actually a round-a-bout.  I was first introduced to round-a-bouts when I visited Australia and since then San Diego has implemented a few.  It seems like Arizona’s high desert towns are a fan and so am I. 



5.  Hours of Operation

In San Diego if you wanted to get a drink at one in the morning it wouldn’t be that difficult to find a place.  If you wanted something at ten or eleven it would be even easier.  Here in Sedona, fat chance.  This town basically closes at 9 pm.  From what I’m told there are maybe two or three places that close well after the nine-o-clock bedtime but I have yet to see them for myself. 



I’m sure I’ll have more observations about Sedona in the future.  But until then, don’t take your own city for granted.  Go on an Adventure!








2 comments:

  1. WOW! What a well written piece. I am not surprised you adapt so well. You are resilient, resourceful and wise. You will always excel no matter where you are. I am proud of you and so happy you are my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great place to visit, not sure I could handle all the hippies if I lived there. Nice post on the local flavor.

    ReplyDelete