Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pink Jeeps?




Yes… Pink Jeeps.

            Yesterday I had the opportunity to take a Pink Jeep Tour in my current hometown of Sedona, Arizona.  Two entrepreneurs Henry Kaiser and Don Pratt established pink Jeep Tours in 1960.  That’s 53 years of touring!  They currently tour Sedona, Las Vegas, The Grand Canyon and Scottsdale.  Learn more about them on their site.  The tour that I went on was the “Broken Arrow Tour”, which was highly recommended by the concierge at Sedona Rouge. 

            Since my tour was at 9 a.m. I had to get up and get ready right away.  It was convenient that Pink Jeep Tours sends a shuttle from their office to Sedona Rouge, which is where I got picked up.  Their office is a quick 6 minutes up the 89A from the Rouge.  A coworker of mine decided to go with me when I was booking my tour.  So we headed out together to Pink Jeep Tours on Monday Morning (be jealous all you 9 to 5ers). 


            Upon arrival we checked in and then waited to be directed to our Pink Jeep.  Here’s a look at their waiting area / parking lot: 


            I had never seen this many Pink Jeeps at one time (actually, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a Pink Jeep).  Eventually, our tour guide calls my name along with five other people and we ship out.  We had a slightly smaller group, as the Jeeps can hold a total of nine people (or at least that’s how many seat-belts they have).  That many people on one of these jeeps would have made me uncomfortable.
           
            Broken Arrow got its name from the 1950 film “Broken Arrow”, which used this area as their set.  This has also been the site of several other films, photo shoots and commercials throughout the decades.  Because Pink Jeep Tours has been doing this for so long, they have the exclusive rights to tour on this trail.  Private four-wheel drivers are allowed on this trail but no other commercial tours.  This was one more reason why my concierge suggested this tour over the others. 

            The Tour took us through some fantastic Arizona wilderness.  There was no shortage of strange red rock formations, deadly-sharp plants and sheer falls.  There were a couple of times that the driver would let us get out, take some pictures and have a few minutes to explore.  One thing to keep in mind is if you have a weak stomach, either sit in the front or consider not eating much in the morning because it’s no Sunday morning drive.  I was shocked at what our driver was able to traverse.  Hopefully the picture gives you an idea of how intense some of the maneuvers are. 























            Altogether, this Adventure was about two hours.  I would really recommend this tour to anyone visiting Sedona.  It would be great for the family, a nice thing to do on a date or if you want to go with a friend.  It was not strenuous and was very safe.  In fact, the most dangerous parts were the round-abouts on the highway.  I give it two thumbs up. 

            Hopefully dear readers you are beginning to get a sense of the kind of Adventure my soul craves.  If you are, then you’ll realize that this was barely an appetizer.  Don’t get me wrong, this tour was fun and I would recommend it, but it is low on my Adventure scale.  (Maybe I should actually have a scale).  I’ll try to keep my prejudice at bay when blogging about lower Scaled Adventures, as I want to suggest things for everyone (but it may be difficult).  So on the Adventure Scale I suppose this would probably get a level 3 out of 10 due to the safe and controlled environment.  Hopefully next time I’ll have something a little more extreme. 

            Seek out something new today!





1 comment:

  1. Great pictures of Sedona. Thanks for the tip on the tour.

    ReplyDelete