Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Family, Turkey and the Beginning of Something Great!

           Once again, it’s been too long since my last post and for that I apologize.  I have been keeping myself very busy.  Between my family visiting, Thanksgiving, work and just trying to relax on my days off, blogging hasn’t been the first thing on my mind.  So let’s recap a few of the highlights. 

            As I mentioned, my family came out to Sedona.  It was fantastic seeing them (a little overwhelming at times) but fantastic non-the-less.  This was the first time I had seen them since I left Sunny San Diego.  We toured the local towns, ate at fancy restaurants and bought souvenirs.  But, by far the most excited thing that we did was rent a RZR (Pronounced Razor) from Sedona ATV & Buggy Rental.  For those of you who don’t know, Sedona ATV & Buggy Rental rents out ATV’s, RZR’s, Buggies and Tomcars to people who want a little Adventure in their lives.  You pick your vehicle, they give you a map and instructions on the recommend routes to take and after that you’re on your own.  It’s a self-guided tour of Sedona and it is bad-ass! 

            We choose a four-seated RZR.  Our route took us through some trails off Soldiers Pass Road then up Schnebly Hill Road.   We got some great pictures off Soliders Pass Road but Schnebly Hill Road was where things got really interesting.  If you took Schnebly all the way it would take you from the 179 to the 17 freeway. For our purposes we just drove to the peak and back.  There is an incredible elevation gain when driving up Schnebly, so it got cold real fast.  Oh yeah, did I mention that it was drizzling the entire time we were driving around.  Yeah, it was definitely what I put down in my book as Adventure.  It was my first time driving a RZR and it was love at first sight.  My family and I had such a great time out there I would highly recommend doing this on a trip out to Sedona.  Damn, want to go again!  Here are some pictures from out Journey:















I also enjoyed this excellent Belgian with my father (not when we were driving obviously).  Straffe Hendrik Heritage 2012.  It says on the bottle that it was a quadruple ale, but I was told it was a Belgian.

            Another thing that I find odd about Sedona is that there is a tradition of going out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner instead of staying home.  Or at least it’s a tradition for the restaurant I work at and the 197 people who had dinner that night.  I had never heard of such a thing before I moved here.  But what did this mean for me?  Working all day (literally).  It was pretty intense.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, in fact I think I strive under stress, but I was exhausted after that then working 7 days in a row.  My family did not stay long enough to celebrate Thanksgiving with me, which was fine since I was working anyway.  But I did however get to have a Thanksgiving dinner with a dear friend of mine from SDSU and her family.  I had an absolute blast! 

            And now it’s December.  And it’s the 4th already.  The 4th doesn’t have any particular significance; I merely bring it up because this month is going by too fast.  I want to savor every last second of this month!   December is a holy month in the book of Wayne.  Allow me to enlighten you.  Not only does it hold Jesus’ birthday (aka, Christmas: the best holiday ever) it also holds my birthday!  Also the 21st of December is the winter solstice, which is the shortest day of the year (bring on the night!).  And it gets even better, December (at least for us in the northern hemisphere) usually means it’s getting cold outside!  Some people even get beautiful snow!  (I’m not going to lie, I love how San Diego is hassle free when it comes to snow, but it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to visit it.)  December is also the last month of the year, which is cool (pun intended) because it’s the finale!  It’s like the ending to a great movie and then everyone celebrates the coming of a sequel.  New years celebration takes place partially in December, which just makes me thing of women in black dresses, champagne, fireworks and shiny stuff (absolutely sexy!).  December also reminds of the greatest hero ever, BATMAN!  Because so many Batman storylines have revolved around Christmas I can’t help (and neither should you) but associate the dark knight with Christmas and by extension December.  Need I say more? 


            I’ll try to be a little more vigilant about keeping up with my posts this month.  Hope you enjoy this month as much as I do and as always keep Adventuring!







No comments:

Post a Comment